10.14.2008

One List is Complete!










Yet again, this post is long over due! We are happy to report that lots of good stuff has happened. We have also had do deal with a health issue for the Admiral. She had abdominal surgery for a minor preexisting condition with a successful outcome. She is doing well and should be back to a regular schedule next week.

The new fuel tank finally arrived and the time to prepare it for installation took about seven days. It is aluminum and I sanded and primed it with a special aluminum primer then a heavy coat of rubberized undercoating. After allowing a good amount of dry time, I brushed on two coats of machinery grade enamel and then two coats of white rustoleum. Of course there was at least 24 hours of dry time between each coat. I was beginning to think that the tank was going to be too big to fit with all the added coatings. However, it is important to make sure that NO moisture, especially salt water be allowed to reach the bare aluminum. It will cause corrosion and there is a high probability of electrolysis which will cause rapid decay of the aluminum tank.

It has become very evident that there is really never one item that gets fixed on a boat. The systems are so interdependent that many items must be removed, repaired or replaced to fix the primary item. In this case we had to remove the cockpit floor, hot water heater, leave the exhaust manifold off from the rebuild of the fuel injector pump and other items which left us basically stranded at the dock until the new tank was installed. Installing the tank was not an easy task in itself. There simply was not enough room to slip it into the space for which it was designed. Installation required cutting the fuel tank support shelf in half length wise and removing it. The piece of shelf was replaced with West System Epoxy after the tank was installed. It is now stronger than it was before the surgery. Much like the Admiral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of the cockpit floor also required the removal of the propane fuel system, the cockpit seat and seat brackets as well as the cockpit stereo speakers. Are you starting to see that it is virtually impossible to just fix one thing without involving many related and unrelated systems???? The main reason for this is because there is a high premium for space on a sailboat so everything is condensed and close together. However, I realized that if I cut the cockpit floor into two pieces, I would be able to remove the forward piece without having to remove the propane fuel system, the cockpit seat and seat brackets as well as the cockpit stereo speakers. Seemed like a good idea but I was apprehensive about the process and the potential for creating leaks. After agonizing too long, I decided that I would tackle the project and then be able to have easier and more frequent access to the engine compartment. This would most likely cause me to do more through and more frequent preventative maintenance that requires access through the cockpit floor.

So here is a list of all of the items and work performed recently.
-replaced closed system coolant pump
-replaced raw water cooling pump
-adjusted valves
-rebuilt fuel injectors
-rebuilt fuel injector pump
-replaced all fuel lines
-installed new fuel tank (port)
-installed new fuel vent through hull
-replaced engine fuel filter
-installed a new water filtration system
-installed a new vented wet exhaust loop
-replaced stuffing in stuffing box with dripless synthetic material
-installed a engine stop solenoid controlled from cockpit
-installed two new nylon/fiberglass reinforced scupper drains in cockpit
-re plumbed hot water heater
-modified cockpit floor into two pieces

Best of all.................One List is Complete!

The work to be completed on the engine is complete!

We now have a very short "A" list and there will always be a "B" list.

Yes I did a little dance in the cabin when I realized the the engine list was complete. PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

No comments: