Several Days Update

So sorry to have not posted for several days but there have been many reasons and more excuses as to why there has not been a post of late. There have been times that we have not had power nor net connection and a couple of times when we were just too pooped to do it. We have made several long voyages in the past several days. For those that enjoy the technicalities of this journey I will post some hard facts to this update for the days that have been missing.

December 4th

New Smyrna Beach, FL to anchorage on the ICW between Cocoa and Palm Coast, FL, Total distance 51 NM Max speed 7 kts, 10 hrs and 21 min travel time avg speed 4.9 kts. We had a great anchorage with good holding just east of green marker number 89. Lots of crab pots but a good holding ground.

December 5th

Palm Coast to Ft Pierce, FL. We docked at a marina so I could attend to a faulty regulator. Made a long hike to West Marine but they did not have the parts so I went next door to Publix and got some food and beer. I went back to the boat and tore apart the regulator to find that it was solid state. Started tracing wires and found a loose ground wire. Many thanks to my brother Ed for being my mechanical consultant during this voyage.

54.1 NM, Max speed 7.1 kts, moving time 11:36 hrs, moving avg 4.7 kts. We had a wide channel and sailed the head sail most of the way with low RPM engine.

December 6th

We punched out of the Ft Pierce inlet into the Atlantic with east winds of about 15 kts and calm seas. The auto pilot did most of the work and we only had to dodge a few fishing boats. Much more relaxing than the ICW. We were happy to be out of the "ditch" and on the high seas. We entered Lake Worth inlet and had a fabulous anchorage.

December 7th

Lake Worth inlet to Port Everglades. Port Everglades is a good inlet but it brings you right into the heart of Ft Lauderdale. Lots of traffic, noise and too much city for us after being in the ICW boonies for a week. The anchoring restrictions are severe and we were lucky to find a small hole to park Mary Rose for the night. The holding was horrible and we had two bow anchors out and one stern anchor. The wind was trying to move us in one direction and the strong tidal current was pushing the keel in another direction. It was quite an experience and we stayed up all nite doing an anchor watch and made it out at first light the next day.

52.67 NM, Max Speed 7.5 kts, avg 4.8 kts, moving time 10:57 hrs We were in the Atlantic all day and fully canvassed. Main sail, super yankee for a head sail and also the staysail which gave us an extra .5 to .75 kts.

December 8th

Port Everglades to Ceasar Creek south of Key Biscayne near Christmas Point. This trip was planned to bypass Miami and all of the restrictions and homeland security issues. It was a fun ride, fully canvassed and 2 - 4 ft seas. This is where we picked up the Hawk Channel which give some protection inside the reef that rings the Florida Keys. The anchorage was great. We used a Bahamian Moor to prevent swing and drag issues due to the strong tidal current. It was good holding ground and good water depth. We were the only sailboat in sight all night.

46.2 NM

Max Speed 8.2....yes it was a screaming reach sleigh ride

Moving avg 5 kts

Moving time 9:15 hrs

December 9

Our original plans were for Ceasar Creek to Rock Harbor. However the winds and waves really started to increase and Rock Harbor offered little if any protection from the East winds and waves. We hailed another sailboat that was headed west and asked for there final destination and discussed conditions. They indicated that they were going to Boot Key and it would be a night time landfall but the anchorage just outside the harbor offered great protection from the strong easterly conditions. Captain discussed the options with the Admiral and we decided to make headway to Boot Key. The Admiral took control of steering Mary Rose while the Captain reworked the navigation plans and waypoints for the GPS. The Admiral entered the information into both GPS systems and then tracked our progress. She has really performed the navigation duties well and is trusted and highly skilled navigator. Having a high degree of confidense in her skills takes a ton of pressure off of the Captain. We struggled for a time with a strong following sea off the port quarter. We reefed the main and head sail and the staysail was full until dark. As it grew late we dropped the main and staysail and motor sailed with the headsail reefed. It was a very long 12 hours at the tiller. We made a perfect nite landfall and anchored in the lee of boot key and then went to harbor the next morning.

7.8 NM, 8.8 kts top speed, 5.0 moving average, 12:30 hrs

December 10th and 11th

At dock in Boot Key, Marathon Marina

Great dinner, good music, clean boat, clean laundry, clean Captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow we push off for a 24 hour run to San Carlos Bay/ Sanibel Island through the Gulf of Mexico. It will be a couple of days before you hear from us again.

1 comment:

Shane Montgomery said...

This was the last posting made before Mary Rose turned nearly due North from Boot Key on an overnight sail on the evening of December 12-13th. We should have contact some time on the 13th from Don and Lana.

Headed to San Carlos Bay, Fl. a distance of 112nm from Boot Key.
San Carlos: N26.27.85 W081.59.85
ETA 2PM EST December 13th, 2007.
Travel Time: 26 hrs approx.

They got a late start. May not make contact until 4pm. They did call in a few hrs into the slog. Contact made at 5pm EST. via telephone.